Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Thankful


I am so glad we got a cat. Just a simple act that has made a big difference for me. She is often waiting at the door when I come home and if not, she makes her way to greet me. She sleeps on my bed at night snuggled up against me. She loves to play and is extremely affectionate but not obnoxiously so. It is nice to have another beating heart in this house and for that I am thankful.

I find myself being thankful for quite a lot these days. Simple things that maybe I would not have considered as "thanks worthy" before but now I do. I am thankful that the days are longer. I imagine how differently it would feel for me if it was getting dark at 5. People have a tendency to stay in more during the winter months and I am sure the loneliness would engulf me. Now, people are out...going to grab a bite, or a glass of wine..."would you like to join us?".....yes...I get out a lot, but I think it is only because everyone else is getting out a lot too. I try not to think about what is up ahead since the days from here on out are just getting shorter. But hopefully I will be ok and there will be new things to be thankful for.

Of course I am thankful for the big things. For family....and kids... grandkids....good friends....and God. I am thankful that I live in a lovely home that I feel comfortable and safe in. I am thankful that I don't have the burden of financial stress that could be so overwhelming. I am thankful that I am healthy and strong and have the hope that I will be ok and life will be good again. And I am thankful for Kenny....always for Kenny....will ever be thankful for him. I am even thankful for the way Kenny died. His final journey. How well it went. I am thankful that he was always able to talk, and eat, and enjoy life to the end. That his great attitude never wavered. Hospice was "spa time", our home was like "living in Tuscany", the hospital bed in our room was "the day bed", the wheelchair was called "Chairy".... He saw it all through lighter, brighter eyes and for that I am most grateful. He was wonderful, sweet and amazing and so much more.....and he was thankful too.

No comments:

Post a Comment