Tuesday, July 12, 2011

"You Go First"

Kenny firmly believed we would both live to a ripe old age since both parents on both our sides have/had lived long healthy lives. He thought we would live to be one hundred and I sort of cringed at the thought. I didn't think I even wanted that but Kenny did. He wanted a long life with me and said we potentially had about 40 or 50 years to look forward to. We were on this subject in our early years, driving home from someplace when Kenny said, "I think you should go first". "GEE! Thanks a lot!". But then Kenny said something that teared me up and brought me to a deeper place of loving him. He said "because I think you would be scared". Yes. I would have been scared. Left alone at a very old age, without my true love beside me. Dazed and confused, I'm sure. I remember thinking at the time that this man knows me. Still, at such an early part of our relationship, he knows me. And cares. And thinks of me. I thought of that little conversation many times over and it always made me teary. It was for me a sweet revelation that this man was not in the relationship for his own purposes, to see what what was in it for him and what he could get out of it. I realized that day, and every day after, that he was in this relationship for me. Me. Kenny had a way of making me feel like I was the best prize he ever won, and he was going to spend the rest of his life taking care of it. And he did. He really did.

No comments:

Post a Comment