Tuesday, June 28, 2011

How Could I Forget?

Several months ago Kenny and I were sitting at the kitchen table. He said, "I hope you won't forget me"....."WHAT???....how could I ever forget you???" He went on to say, "Well, if you live to be ninety, that is a long life....and you would have only known me for about four years or so....that is such a short amount of time in light of your whole life". Of course I reassured him that I would never forget him...no, not ever. I think there are a lot of people in my life that have influenced me and taught me much along life's journey. But Kenny....he has made the greatest impact of all. He has changed me forever. He gave me what my heart has longed for for many, many years. Yes, he changed me. He gave me the greatest of all gifts. He loved me. Truly. And he let me love him back. Could I ever forget him? Never. Not a single day will go by where I don't lean on Kenny's love and influence to get me through.

I was talking to an old friend yesterday. I was telling her that I have really been experiencing the love and tenderness of the Lord....that I have been looking to Him to meet me in ways I have not been looking for Him in the past few years. I have been looking to Him to meet me as a husband would....to fill in the empty spaces that are now so evident with Kenny's passing. She said "you had that love through flesh and bones". Yes....Kenny was that for me. He was a vessel of God's love poured out to me. Poured out....spilled over...and abundantly overflowing. What a great, great gift. What a great, great love.

No comments:

Post a Comment