Tuesday, April 12, 2011

A List

I used to start my morning every day with a list of things I wanted to get done for the day. Usually it was more ambitious than I truly am, so what didn't get done, found itself on the next day's list. I don't do that anymore. I don't plan my days out too much these days. I move through the day with little planning or expectation....only to do what needs to be done at any given moment. At times I feel foggy, slothful and aimless. But other times, I feel this is good for me. I have put a lot of pressure on myself over the years...the "should" pressure. Things I "should" do and usually don't. Guilt. But now, I am living each day as it comes. Finding that a talk on the phone or hanging out with Kenny watching TV is just as, or more important than anything on my "to do" list. Kenny has always been such an encouragement to me in that way. If it is noon and I am still in my PJ's because I had made pancakes and talked on the phone to my family all morning, I often feel I am just twittering my day away....but he always tell me I am "doing my job". As always, my false guilt is lifted and I realize what a gift I have been given.

Here it is 10:45 in the morning and Kenny is down for his second nap of the day. He had a busy weekend with his sister's visit, and then yesterday he went to the Pacheco Club to meet the boys for lunch. All that leads to a very tired guy. For lunch today he is meeting his uncle at the club...the boy just keeps going.

I am very tempted to adopt a cat. I have been looking at the SPCA and various rescue places but have not found one that I really liked. I did find a black and white one at the SPCA last week that I liked because she was so affectionate. I took Kenny back the next day to meet her and got a chance to hold her. When I put her back in the cage, my black jacket was covered with cat hair. I just thought...."I can't do this....I don't want to be one of those ladies you see out and about all covered in cat hair". So...it sort of put a damper on that idea but I went out yesterday to the AFRP to check out what cats they might have. I liked one quite a bit. He was gray and left me with very few hairs on my jacket. That is good. But he had a respiratory problem and would be sneezy and drippy all his life. Hmmm. No...I don't think I want a cat like that either. So...just as I was leaving there was another cat curled up in a covered bed with her brother. She came out and oh my. She was just the coloring that is my favorite, but I had sort of ruled it out once I saw all the cat hair on me from the black and white. This one is a gray and white tabby, 7 months old. Cute, cute, cute. But, a lot of white. I held her and lo and behold when I put her back I had very few hairs on me. I could live with this! I am still having a hard time deciding. I think having a cat would be nice at this time in my life. Another living thing in our home that would bring comfort. Kenny loves cats and would enjoy her company. For me, she would be my pal and I would have someone to greet me when I come home....especially in my future. My grandkids would be ecstatic and I think my son's kids will never have pets, so there is a part of me that wants to do this for them too. I think I am leaning toward getting her. More tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment